Thursday, July 05, 2007

Plastic Poison

I read this article today : http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/travel-leisure/Our_oceans_are_turning_into_plastic_are_we.shtml

This is sad and scary. And I've been thinking about this alot since I read the article, and I know I can do some things to help with the problem - but just think about how many of the things I buy at the grocery store are packaged in plastic - and that is the only way to get it. Ketchup, Cooking oils, laundry soap, frozen dinners, etc. I could go on and on.

And I'm worried about this. Worried for our children. In the article is talks about 5 different 'areas' in the worlds oceans that are like plastic/trash landfills. The one in the pacific ocean is twice the size of Texas. TEXAS!!!!


Just wanted to share.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

a lot of plastics are recycleable - if people would just put a bit more effort in then there wouldn't be so much waste. You can also get a lot of the things you buy in glass jars or cardboard boxes. In the case of ketchup - buy the glass jar and then use it to refill the same plastic bottle over and over. Laundry soap - if you buy the powdered kind it comes in boxes, if not then buy the largest bottle of detergent (cuts down on packaging) and recycle the bottle!

I've also heard about a new type of "plastic" that is made from corn so it breaks down more easily than petroleum based plastics. If you look around there are lots of alternatives!