Saturday, May 16, 2009

Getting even thriftier

*Ok, I started this post LAST MAY*.  Don't think I'm going to finish it at this point, so I'm going to go ahead and publish it.   Should I backdate it?  Hum, lets see if I can figure out how to do that.  Yep, ok, Publishing for 5/16/2009*

 

Cut back? Oh yes, unfortunately I didn’t have much choice. My husband lost his job in Nov - then unemployment ran out.

So we have cut back on almost everything - cell phone bill is down $50, cable - down $40, grocery budget - just about cut in half - and no eating out except for a few times a month as cheaply as possible.

So - I’ve not only started coupon clipping (i’ve always meal planned) - but I also started specifically planning meals around my coupons and what is on sale at my 2 favorite grocery stores (and buying a lot more at walmart since it is cheaper as well)

we are keeping the temperature higher in the house to save on electricity - and I’ve started a garden that i’m hoping will keep us nicely fed for a few months this summer.

Oh, and my husband is having to watch our son instead of paying for daycare.

You know, I think that this is going to have a longer affect on us than just until he gets a job. We have some savings, but no near enough to make me comfortable - so first thing when he gets another job (or he is called back to his current job). I want to be confident that we can make it with just one income for a while - if we must…

Oh, and I have always shopped at consignment sales - and i’m a seller in a few too. I have gotten almost all of peyton’s clothes the last two years at consignment sales (we have them spring and fall) - and almost all of his ’santa’ presents too. And since i sell stuff (just some stuff as i’m saving a lot incase we have another boy - whenever we have #2) - but i sell stuff and make money - but then spend the money in the sale, so it is like a great tradeoff!!!

Oh, and I’ve started reading a lot of blogs about saving money and ideas on how to do stuff as a family w/o costing money, etc.

My favorite so far is:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com.

i even got a recipe for homemade laundry detergent on that site…i tried it and it works!!! of course, i still buy my laundry detergent when it goes on sale!!! but if i’m out, i have enough ingredients to make my own detergent for about a year!!!

No comments: