Monday, January 04, 2010

Surgery Update

Well - got bad and good news at the doctor last Wednesday.

Bad news - I have interstitial cystitis (IC), also known as Painful Bladder Syndrome. A lot of my pain is coming from that. the gist of it is my bladder herniates (bleeds) every time it is full. And where my uterus was, it was on top of my bladder more so than it should have been, so having the uterine suspension should help. but the bad news is all the foods I can't eat. I'm talking about just about everything - almost all fruits, nuts, tomatoes, yogurts, sour cream, the list is really long - oh and sodas, coffees, juices, etc. I've been doing research online, and I've downloaded a bladder diary (how fun is that???) so I can track my pain and when I hurt with which foods - and then avoid the ones that actually hurt me. It is hard to do right now though, b/c it still hurts often. But the meds should help. Now that I know it is my bladder and not my female parts I can pay closer attention. You know, I can now tell when lood is coming from bladder vs female parts (TMI, but the truth, I assumed it was regular spotting, never occurred to me that it was my bladder)

Good news.

I had a very large 'pelvic varicosity' on the left side of my uterus.  Which is like pelvic varicose veins.  Well, he burnt off many of the veins that were feeding it (or where it was growing)...so he is hoping that he disrupted it enough to kill it or hopefully stunt it's growth.  Then once i'm done having kids, i can have a hysterectomy and be done with it. 

Best News.

He doesn't have to send me to a specialist to help me get pg bc I have been having periods for about 6m - but all were annovulatory cycles (don't ovulate). So I'm taking a dose of progesterone to get a good cycle started, then I will take clomid (lowest dose) for 5 days CD3-7 I think. Only one cycle though, and I have done the research on twins, and it is a pretty low - like under 10%. Of course, 10% is pretty scary, but I'll be praying for ONE! But that scares me, I guess we have decided to take the chance...gulp! After one cycle he will do more U/S if I'm not pg to make sure I don't over stimulate my ovaries - considering I have PCOS, and clomid can do that. but all in all I'm very hopeful.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I'm with you, I would have assumed spotting - who would think bladder? Not me! glad they have a good handle on what's going on... isn't being a woman fun? NOT! Here's praying for one baby (althought two would be a bonus!!)