Monday, February 18, 2008

Long Weekend Farewell

The long weekend is almost over.  Sniff sniff.  I took Friday off to get some stuff done around here while Peyton was still in daycare, and that went mostly as planned.  I got most of what I need to get done, done. 

I've been reading this --> Into the Mind's of Babes - a book about Children and TV - and so far it is a very good book.  I'm going to write more about it when I finish the book, but so far it has definitely made me stop feeling guiltily about his delay in talking/saying words.  The book says to focus mainly on the content, context of what your child is watching and what is best for your child.  And I do spend quality time with Peyton playing daily - so the fact that he watches Mickey Mouse a few times a day isn't bad.  And he could be learning from it!  But so far one of the biggest things I'm learning from the book is about background TV noise.  Whenever I am playing with him and trying to teach him words/sounds, having the TV on (or the radio) that noise can be a major interference in his learning and picking up all of what I'm saying/teaching him - and the TV can even interfere when he is playing on his own.  So now the TV is OFF unless he is watching something.  Eric can watch TV in the other room.  If we are watching something as a family, then I don't mind the 'background' noise, but that is only a few times a week and it is kind of rare that we watch a show during the actual 'viewing' of the show, so I'm not stressing that too much.

So, we got our taxes back.  I ordered us all some clothes from Old Navy, and when they came in all my clothes were either too big or too small - so I'm ordering more clothes and taking the returns back to the store.  Peyton's clothes looked ADORABLE though.  I'm so glad that they were running the 40% off sale, or they would have been too much, but I got him a few things for this summer.  I also ordered me a few things off amazon - a tripod for my camera, a camera lens cleaning kit, a new Christian CD, and a few books (actually 2 of the books are from half.com).  I also ordered Peyton this - Here come the 1,2,3's from They Might Be Giants.  I was so shocked when I saw it in the latest issue of Parent's Magazine.  I just thought it was cute and that he might like it (one of the songs comes on Playhouse Disney and I liked it) I comes with the DVD and CD - so I figured, why not.  I wanted to get him something for the DVD player for our trip in April - and this looked cool.  I almost ordered a Dan Zane's Trains CD, but I decided to hold off b/c my cart was getting too full.  I think we all know how that goes.

And my last big purchase (besides paying off one of our credit cards) with our tax returns is this bad boy.  The Hoover Floormate Spinscrub 800.  Oh how I cannot wait to use thee!  I have carrots and peas stuck to my tile floor constantly.  I have to literally get down on the floor and scrub with a grout brush to get the floor clean.  Oh, I hope this thing works like it says.  I read all the reviews and I so hope it does.  And it will work on my wood floors too.  It vacuums, wet-clean (with scrubbers) and squeegee-dries - and I have been using a cheapo $30 vacuum on my hardwoods since we moved in 2 years ago (the whole living areas of my house are either wood or tile) and this is going to be a major upgrade.  Can't wait to get it in hopefully by next weekend!!! 

No comments: