He turned 18 months last Friday. A year and a half. Wow. Seems like he was born just yesterday - but then again, it seems like he has been a part of our lives forever. At his checkup he weight in at a whopping 26 lbs and a giant 34 inches. That is 50% in the weight percentile and 90% in the height percentile. Growing just fine. He has had a growth spurt recently though, because all of the sudden he can grab things off of the kitchen counters that aren't right on the edge, get things out of the top drawer and reach all of the door knobs. He has even learned how to lock and unlock the doors. We just bought those things to put on all the knobs so that he can't get out, but he doesn't know how to open a door yet - but we know that will come very soon!
He is making a lot of progress in his talking - saying new words almost weekly now. This week I think he added the words 'mine' (I'm sure he learned that one at daycare) and 'no' to his list of words. He can say, ba, yeah, hey, bye, no, and we have heard mine once or twice. We are still going to take him back to the speech therapist though because he is still behind. In the books I've read, he should be saying around 20 words (the doc says 10 is good), and mama and dada don't count. But, at least he is starting to make some progress...
he also failed the autism screening, but just barely. I'm not worried at all though. I think he failed because he is just a little bit behind. He passed everything except two things. He isn't pretending yet and he isn't pointing when he wants something (he just whines). I have a feeling that he will start doing those soon. The doctor will re-screen (which is just asking questions) again at his 2 year checkup. All of his communication skills are fine, and most autistic children seem to have a lot of problems with just basic interactions - and Peyton has no problems with playing with other children or being in crowds or anything like that. I can take him to the church nursery and drop him off with someone he has never seen/meet before and he has no problems - so like i said, i'm not worried at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment