Monday, December 01, 2008

Stage 4

Paula has Stage IV Ovarian Cancer, which has spread to her abdomen wall and lungs (and could be in more areas).  They are giving her 3-4 rounds of chemo to see if it stops the progress and maybe shrinks the cancer some - in an effort to prolong her life.  She could have a few as 3-6 months, or up to a few years, depending on the chemo treatments.  The survival rate at 5 years is 17%.

Of course, at this point we are all praying for a miracle.  We all truly believe (and have seen) God's miraculous healing's, so that is what we are praying for now.

What amazes me - is how strong she is.  She is her usual chipper and happy self and she says that she is going to be optimistic and trust in God - even if the doctors are being pessimistic. 

I believe and I'm praying for a miracle - but at the same time, it just isn't fair.  Peyton needs to have his grandma as he grows up.  Eric still needs his mom.  We were supposed to get to spend many more years with her.  If something happened to her soon, Peyton wouldn't even remember her.  And what about our next child - will she ever get to hold him/her?  Of course, I'm trying to not think those negative thoughts - but it is hard.  I'm scared, so scared.

So today was no fun.  Today I had to tell Eric that his mom had terminal cancer - and then we went to see his brother and tell them.  Eric took it pretty well considering, and visiting with Paula and getting to see her and her positive attitude really helped.  But he is going to have his moments - and so am I.  We already are. 

No comments: