First off, we had decided not to go on vacation this year for a few reasons, but when we had a funeral to go to in Tampa Florida, we decided to stay for two extra nights for our vacation since we would already be down there.
We decided to go to St. Augustine. I mainly made that decision b/c that is where I went on vacation with my family when I was middle school aged. That vacation is probably one of my favorite family vacations of all time. We had a blast. St. Augustine is one of the oldest cities in the country and it has alot of historic landmarks to visit.
The weekend started off on Friday. We arrived at the hotel I had booked through Orbitz and we were not very happy. I could tell immediately that the pictures online had been 'doctored'. But the hotel was clean and we wanted to relax and take a nap/rest before dinner. So we unpack the car and go to our room - which was VERY hot. We turned up the a/c, and the room just wasn't cooling off. We called the front desk and they sent up a maintenance man to repair it. He needed to replace the unit - so we decided to go ahead and do a little sight seeing and get something to eat.
We go across the bridge to the ocean and walk around near the pier. Then we went to dinner and when we got back to the room it was still HOT. We gave it about an hour, and decided that this room was NOT going to cut it. I was hot, my face was beat red, Peyton was hot and his face we red and Eric was sweating. So, we call orbitz and they refund our room. but here it is, 7:30 pm on a Friday and we have to find another hotel - that is at a decent price.
And we got LUCKY. The second place we stopped at was nicer than our original hotel and $30 bucks cheaper! Score. So finally were settled for the night. I was actually pretty upset because I had wanted to go to the historic district and walk around, get an ice cream and do stuff like that during the evening, but the hotel situation had thrown off our whole night. But it was okay.
Saturday we went to the old fort first thing in the morning. By about 9:30 we were so hot we decided to go back to the room and relax and maybe go swimming. We get back, feed Peyton and around 11ish we were taking a nap. That nap was probably the best nap we have had since Peyton was born. He slept for over 2 1/2 hours (not normal at all) and we ended up having to wake him up to go get some lunch.
That night we went and walked through the historic part of town. Got some ice cream and did what I wanted to do the first night - and it was nice. I wish we could have gone to the 'antique row' section of town, but the antique shops closed up early on Saturday so we missed out on that.
All and all, we had a nice time. We were all very ready to get home though. I had some stomach issues the whole time we were gone, so we had to make a few runs back to the hotel for me to go to the bathroom. Not fun. But on the positive side of that, I didn't gain any weight back during the trip and we ate a few 'not so good for us' meals.
The night before we left town, we went to walmart to get a car DVD player. That thing was WELL worth the money. We were going to get this for Peyton for his birthday - and i'm thinking we can just wrap the empty box and he won't know the difference. We shall see.
1 comment:
I'm so glad the trip ended so well for you guys and you were able to salvage it after the bad room!
So sorry about Eric's aunt. And Congrats to Peyton on walking! Oh my gosh, it's starting!! How exciting:)
Post a Comment