Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Going crazy here

Let me just say, my post a few days ago about discovering that a new scrapbook store is going to open in my town has not only totally thrown my emotional roller coaster for a loop - but my thoughts have become consumed with this again.  On Monday I exchanged a few casual emails with the store owner - or 'will be store' owner - and even went down on my lunch break to discuss designing a website for her.  I told her I would program the site in exchange for product or for cheap, and that I only did simple informational websites - not full scale flash websites.  She was clueless.  She didn't even know what a blog was.  HELLO! 

Anyway, she has had the store space rented out for over a year.  A YEAR!  And oh my - it just wasn't very well set up.  And I have no idea how she is going to put a crop area in there.  She had two decent size rooms in the back area - one that i thought would be great for cropping - or classes, you could maybe fit about 6-8 long 6ft tables in there, but she said that was going to be the office.  I'm thinking - so your going to use the rest of the store for retail space AND crop space???  I'm NOT seeing it.  I'm just going to stop there - lots of stuff going wrong in the space, not that i'm an expert, but i have been in a ton of stores...she has a LONG way to go.

I have so many ideas - let me tell you, if I got the chance to open a store, and I had the funds, the store would ROCK!  Totally.  And I would have the latest and greatest product.  That was another thing she said - she wanted to focus on basics b/c you can get the latest from Hobby Lobby and the chain stores?!?  Which is totally WRONG.  Oh, and she didn't even know what CHA was - Craft and Hobby Association. 

But I would like to say some great things about her.  I could tell she had a great business sense.  I think she had a lot of work to do on the creative side of the business...

 

But what this post is about is how this has really stirred back up my dream and constant thought to open a store.  I was in this same exact spot last year at about this time.  I mean, I couldn't sleep I would think about it so much.  Now, I'm back there again.  And it is hitting me up emotionally.  I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.  Is this something that I want or is it something that God is putting in my heart because why does it keep coming back over and over?  And honestly, it will really be about 4-5 years before I would be ready to do a business venture seriously.  I don't think this store will make it - unless she gets some major help, and the location is almost doomed from the start.  I could be wrong on that - the rent is awesome where she is at - but has God put me in her path to help her and maybe I would gain blessings from that?  I KNOW so much about products and what is hot and all the cool stuff - and let me tell you, i would probably go crazy at a CHA Show.  I don't know what everyone in my area wants - that would be some trial and error and surveys needed and stuff - but I can tell you, if I had a store, when  you walked in, you would be wow'd and want to go crazy buying stuff - at least that would be my goal for your first impression.

Why am I still writing about this.  I have no idea.  All I know, is I have wanted to literally cry many times today b/c I've gotten so worked up about this.  WHY?  WHY?  I had let this go so many times.  I guess in a few weeks this all shall pass again.  Hopefully!!!

No comments: