Saturday, August 23, 2008

Upset again...

We bought our minivan at a Toyota dealership in Feb.  It got hit in the Target parking lot a few months ago - no major damage, but it needed to be fixed (at the other owners insurance expense).  Got a call today from the insurance company that all damage isn't going to be covered due to a previous wreck.  What?  We pulled a car-fax before we purchase it and it was clear.  I called the collision center - and apparently it was in a pretty bad wreck.  The repair was really bad and some of the issues were bad!  Like the seat belts not being fixed properly/put back together on the 3rd row.  We haven't used the 3rd row yet - but I'm sick.  Very very upset.  And in order to fix everything properly it would cost us thousands.

I think what we are going to do is have them fix what needs to be done for the parking lot incident damage, get the seat belts and all safety issues fixed and trade it in on a brand new van.  I didn't want to take out a loan for that long of a time period - but at this point I don't feel safe buying used.  The payment on a brand new van should be the same (I did the math) because the interest rate is lower - the loan period would just be 2-3 years longer (ouch).

We did everything right.  Inspected it (or so we thought), pulled car fax and what if something bad would have happened?  We have only used the 3rd row like once - but the times we have or would have were on trips when we would have been traveling 80 miles per hour on the interstate.  I guess it is a blessing that we got in that little finder bender and not a major accident to find this out!  I think next time before buying a used vehicle (even if it is from a respectable dealership) you should take it to a collision center where at a glance they can tell if it has been wrecked.  the lady told me when i got my estimate that it had been in a wreck, but from looking at it from the 'outside' - without the van being taken apart - it looked like a minor wreck similar to what I was getting repaired this time.

I'm going to wait a week or so before making any major decisions on this though.  we are trying to get the dealership that we bought it from to help us out - but they might not have known either - considering the car fax was clean.  However - I'm not certain they did a good inspection of the vehicle either.  Another night where I can't sleep b/c too much is on my mind.  UGH!!!!!!!

No comments: