Lately, I've been studying the bible daily and trying to be very diligent to really get something out of it daily. And I've really been getting a few 'smacks' in the face. Our bible study for last Sunday was about growing in Christ Constantly - to not become stagnant or lazy...and in my time management for Christian mom's book - I had learned/read that same lesson earlier in the week. The 'slap' in the face came from the fact that both lessons said something to the effect that we really need to make learning God's word our passion. To not make it a daily chore or item on our to-do lists, but to really WANT to do it and get excited about it. To WANT to get up early for it.
In my Time Management book it even goes on to talk about how some women have passions for reading and will say up all night reading, or Scrapbooking, and they will scrapbook for hours and hours. Right there was my smack. That is my 'passion'. And it is ok to have more than one. But God should be FIRST. Not second or third.
Another lesson is that if you only have time to do one study a day - read your bible. Not a book about the bible. Which I have been doing that, my bible study out of my women's devotional bible before I do my other studies each day, but I never thought of that before reading it in this book. And it totally makes sense. If you only have time to spend in one book at day, make it the book - the Bible. The books about the bible are good to read. And honestly, I think reading any book is better than wasting time watching TV...but read your bible first before the others.
But back to the Bible Study from last weekend - about growing in Christ constantly. It was from the book of Hebrews. Hebrews 5 and 6 to be exact. And considering I've been saved since I was in the 7th grade, I really should be a very mature Christian by now - and I'm still in the infant stage. And it is because I have not been consistent. I have been consistent on and off through trials and different times in my life, but overall - my 'roadmap' is not a straight upward path in my walk with Christ. It is more of an up and down rocky slope. I tend to cling to him very tightly when I need him when things are going rough, but when things are looking pretty good, I just go right along on cruise control. Now, I have always gone to church on and off - and prayed daily, but that just isn't enough in my book. So, that is what I'm working on changing.
Now that I have Peyton, he needs to see me as a constant Christian and example. Right now he is to young to really comprehend much- but he is at the age where he is going to start learning SO FAST. We have already started teaching him about Jesus and he can point him out in his little carry along bible. That is also why we have moved churches to a new church that has more for children so when he gets old enough for Sunday School and stuff like that, he will be at a church that has what he needs to learn and grow. But most of all, I want to be able to teach him, and I want to be stronger in my walk and stronger in my witness, and stronger in my faith. So, I'm working on me and growing my Passion!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment