Friday, August 15, 2008

Good News and Bad News

I know I have posted many times about my 'dream' to own/open a scrapbook store.  Heck, last year I even registered my 'would be' business name and got a tax id - so that I could start working on my business plan and portfolio.  We listed our land with a real estate agent because the profit from our land sale would pay off all our debts (well, our credit card debt anyway) and then I thought I could get a business loan and MAYBE go for it.  MAYBE.  Just Maybe!  I started contacting companies and figuring out how much products cost, how much displays would cost, how much rent in our area costs, etc.  I had parts of the business plan started and everything.  I was really getting into it...

Well, the land still hasn't sold.  At this point - the price has been reduced twice, no bites.  The real estate market is pretty bad!  And honestly, even if we did sell it we would still have debts to pay down and it would take us a while to get to where I would feel comfortable doing an investment like opening a store - especially considering I have NO business experience.  And with the economy right now, I would be scared to start a retail business as well.

All that being said, I still had my dream...still do!

Today on the way to work, guess what I saw, a scrapbook store that is about to open.  Well, they were putting up the sign on the strip mall anyway.  It is in the old part of town - not where I would have picked, but i know the rent is about 1/3 to 1/2 of what it would be in the newer areas - but location is everything (or so I've been told).

Honestly, at first, the scrapbooker in me got SUPER DUPER excited.  I emailed 2 of my best friends and told them immediately, called my husband and told him.  Wasn't  until around lunch time that it hit me...and I got down.  By the time I got finished with therapy this afternoon, I was really down.  I don't know.  I mean, just because this store is opening doesn't mean that I can't somehow have my dream one day...but it puts a damper on it.  Not having a Local Store for miles and miles was great!  It ment that i would have the market. 

I don't even know why I'm typing this.  I know that this wasn't in God's plan for me right now.  I'm just sad I guess.  UGH.  Maybe God was saving me from doing all this and then getting my store ready to open at the same time as this other store.  Maybe God wants us to NOT sell the land because it could make us ALOT of money in ten years or so and totally be worth our hard work and sacrifices we are making now to pay for it.  I just need to sit back and let God do the leading and not me.  Which is hard. 

No comments: