Thursday, September 24, 2009

Something new

I've discovered the First Place program, a program that is designed for a bible based/faith based weight loss program.  I discovered the program a few weeks ago around the time I did my fast.  I have one book and one bible study right now, going to start trying to do the program this weekend.  I think this is something that I would really like to lead at my church. 

I'm excited that this might work, because it treats all 4 aspects of a 'healthy you'.  Mental, Physical, Emotional and Spiritual, and all 4 need to be in balance.  I would like balance.  I would like growth (spiritually) and endurance (physical), and self-control (mental)...but I'm scared to try.  Not sure why I'm scared, maybe because this actually seems like the program that really could work for me, but what if I fail, would that mean that there isn't a program available to help me?  Or if I fail, would I be not only failing myself but also God since this is a God centered approach.  I know deep down that I can do it, it is just going to take some time and dedication.

One thing I read - "95 percent of people who lose weight gain it back within two years".  Ok, maybe I shouldn't feel so bad since I'm in that 95%.  Also - weight-loss is the 2nd post popular recreational means of spending money - topped only by fitness (mainly lose weight quick schemes/plans/diet products).  I've done them all - Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Low-Carb, Calorie counting, etc.  I'm tired.  I'm tired of being overweight.  I'm tired of being out of shape.  And I'm tired of trying new programs and failing.  With God on my side - I can do anything, but it is hard.  It is hard to stay focused.  It is hard to stay committed. 

But you know what, God didn't promise that life would be all good without difficulties.  He promised to carry us through the difficulties. 

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28

The key parts (from what I have read so far) about this First Place Plan - are 9 commitments...and then the 4 aspects (Physical, Spiritual, Emotional and Mental) of a balanced life.

1.  Attendance - going to the program, participating with the group

2.  Encouragement

3.  Prayer

4.  Bible Reading

5.  Scripture Memory Verses

6.  Bible Study

7.  Live-It plan

8.  Commitment Record - tracking what you are eating each day

9.  Exercise

I think the key verse that I'm going to be using is this one:

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?".  1 Cor 3:16. 

 

I really don't think I'm ready to lead a group, considering that I haven't actually proved that I can do it, or lead by example...but one of the key points of the program is the Group - and doing it as a group.  I've been praying about this, and so we will see where this leads....

No comments: