Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hard time making decisions

I'm (we're) having a really hard time making a decision on if we should sell our house. I blogged some about this last month here , but we are both really struggling. I've been praying for clarity and for an answer, but I'm not very good at listening or knowing what God wants us to do.

I'll try to make this post short and sweet - the jest of our delima is that our house cost way more than it should have and the sorry builder did such a bad job we are afraid that this house is going to start having problems long before it should. We already have a few problems - like cracked tile and our lamenate hardwood is bowing in a few spots.

We bought land, about 30 minutes from town, but I don't know if we could afford to build on it right now either. This land is where I could see us living forever, so I want to make sure that if we do build a house there, that it is a size and floorplan that we can enjoy while raising our kids and into retirement.

Our current house is large enough to live in forever. Even if we have 3 kids, there would be plenty of room. And I HATE moving. Hate packing. I don't know if there is anything worse than moving. Especially when over half your stuff ends up stuffed in storage for a year and in the mean time you are living in a small-cramped-not yours house/apartment.

I want to start making our house our home. Buying furniture, painting rooms if we want, making improvements (like a fence for example) but we both agree that we don't want to make any changes to our house unless we plan on living in it for awhile.

Another thing is I don't want to be building a house or moving pregnant. We plan to start trying for #2 when Peyton is 2 years old. So that means we only have about a year and a half to move. Selling the house and building another one could easily take a year. Or we could find another house that we love that is already built and move in and make upgrades.

And of course I'm scared. Scared because I know how horrible building can be - but we also know how easy it could be with the right builder (we have built two houses). I know we would never get into a situation like we were with this house again - but it is still scary to even think about doing it again considering all the stress (and weight gain) it put on us.

I guess what it really boils down to is figuring out if we want to move or stay. And whatever decision we make is not set in stone, but if we are not going to plan on staying in our house for at least 10 years or so then I don't want to start making upgrades.

I'm probably over thinking the whole situation, but it is hard not to. I wish Eric would just make a decision for us and I'll support him, but that isn't going to happen. We make our decisions together.

1 comment:

Randi said...

I can only imagine how stressful this is. You sound alot like me, MAJOR PLANNER. I pray that God allows a clear answer for both you and Eric, soon:)